The American School of Bangkok Green Valley Campus is an IB World School. These are schools that share a common philosophy—a commitment to high quality, challenging, international education that ASBGV believes is important for our students.
- Students take a total of six subjects, one from each subject group.
- Three subjects are studied at higher level (HL) and three others are studied at standard level (SL).
- Students can take a second subject from groups three or four in place of a group 6 subject.
- The core subjects consisting of TOK, CAS and extended essay are compulsory for all DP students.
- The students are assessed through a series of internal assessment (IA) and external assessment (Final exams).
Subjects offered at ASBGV
|Group 1: Students in Language & Literature
|English, Chinese or Thai
|Group 2: Language acquisition
|English, Chinese or Spanish
|Group 3: Individuals and Society
|Economics or Psychology
|Group 4: Sciences
|Chemistry or Biology
|Group 5: Mathematics
|Mathematics: Approaches & Analysis
|Group 6: The Arts
Diploma Program teachers @ ASBGV
In order to ensure the highest quality of education for our students, DP teachers at ASBGV hold teaching professional qualifications and degrees relevant to subjects that they teach. DP teachers have also completed professional development training conducted by the certified IB workshop leaders as required by the IB organization.
Benefits of an IB Diploma
The ultimate benefit is that IB graduates are literate, articulate, confident young adults with an understanding of global issues and other cultures.
University admissions and scholarship committees are increasingly taking into account an applicant's entire school record, not just marks. The IB Diploma program's emphasis on citizenry and extracurricular activities speaks aptly to those criteria.
IB Diploma graduates receive excellent recognition from university admissions offices in Canada, the USA and abroad. The recognition in Canada includes early acceptance, advanced standing, and eligibility for special IB scholarships, as well as traditional university scholarships.
IB Diploma Program FAQ:
1) What are the benefits of the IB Diploma program?
- IB students develop strong academic, social and emotional characteristics.
- They are also encouraged to think critically and solve complex problems.
- The IB diploma program is able to lead students to some of the highest-ranking universities around the world.
- Students become more culturally aware through the development of a second language.
- The program develops internationally minded individuals who are confident to engage people in an increasingly globalized, rapidly changing world.
2) What kind of student is a suitable candidate for the DP?
The DP is a rigorous course of study for motivated students who are determined to do their best academically while leading a full balanced life and a strong commitment to learning in and beyond the classroom.
3) Do DP students have time for activities beyond academics?
Absolutely. Most successful Diploma Program students lead very full lifes. They are often involved in a wide range of activities. Time management and organization are key skills the IB develops in students.
4) How does the IBDP differ from other university-preparatory programs?
The IBDP is a two-year comprehensive and cohesive curriculum. The most important distinguishing factor is the core of the Diploma Program (CAS, TOK and extended essay). The 3 core subjects develop research and essay writing skills in students and are critical for success in universities.